Thursday, May 3, 2012

Interview: Mike Frederiqo

There are millions of talented artists out there but only a few stand out. With a background in graffiti and tattooing, there's no wonder why Marc Jacobs and Kaws admire this young artist's work. 21-year-old Mike Frederiqo was born an artist. And with his first project being Bape's Soup, he is sure to die an artist as well. Read our full interview below.


LGD: The 90s is currently a popular decade to replicate these days. Since you actually grew up in the 90s, what  were some of your major influences as a child?
Mike Frederiqo: I think everything has been done. "Bad artist copy, Good artist steal" -Picasso. I still watch Spongebob everyday and all the children programs. But as a child, I watched the Smurfs, Pokémon, Disney, etc.

LGD: I first saw your work, the Bape soup cans, on Kdia's Tumblr and I loved them. Do you enjoy work that has a juxtaposition of elements?
MF: Thanks! I always enjoy when someone takes something that you are familiar with and make it their own and that you can relate to it in someway.

LGD: After the Bape soup came the Spongebob persona's increased your buzz. How did you react to your work being featured on sites like High Snobiety and Marc Jacobs showing love?
MF: Always nice to get love from great designers and great websites. I am most proud of that Kaws own one of my drawings that i did for him to me its all unreal.


LGD: You dedicated the Spongebobs to people in the fashion industry. Who are some of your favorite designers/brands? What is your current look? And what are some of your must-haves?
MF: Marc Jacobs, Yves Saint Laurent, Loving everything from Louis Vuitton, a hat and a sigaret. YSL white t-shirt is a must-have for me - got 6 of them. I am almost like a cartoon wearing the same clothes everyday.

LGD: What famous figure would you like to Spongebob next?
MF: Have some new one's coming up - Louboutin, Ralph Lauren, Versace. There are so many.


LGD: What gets you in the mood to create?
MF: Seeing the reactions from people. And there is not much needed to get me started. I enjoy doing it.

LGD: If you weren't an artist, what would you be?
MF: Dead.

Stay connected with Mike Frederiqo and his work by following him on Tumblr and Twitter
For more inquiries, contact him here

No comments:

Post a Comment