Saturday, October 20, 2012

Interview: Rho Villasenor

RHOD. 100% cotton thread. Hand made in the USA with those two pretty guns you see above. Follow Rho Villasenor on a RHOD to riches by reading the full interview below.





LGD: What is the story behind RHOD?
Rho Villasenor: RHOD happend by accident. I made one for my brother and I, we went to an event that evening and we both wore it. Everyone ended up liking it and from there, I just thought "hey, why not!" lol. The name RHOD came about when my brother and I were sitting in traffic trying to come up with a name for the line. He blurted out RHOD, which is my father's name. I loved it right when he said, the sound, meaning, everything, it just made sense.


LGD: What are your daily/life inspirations and how do they inspire RHOD? Who are your favorite designers?
RV: Life itself is my inspiration, what I see, hear, and more, I don't over think things. If I like it, then I like it and if I don't, no thanks!

I love Wang, Balmain, Proenza, Celine, Prabal, the list just goes on, I don't have a specific style so I tend to like a whole lot.


LGD: You've had stars like Tyga and Kendrick Lamar wearing the RHOD jewelry. What star would you ultimately love to see wearing the pieces?
RV: I don't want to name a specific star only because I don't want to put my brand in a box. When I created RHOD, I didn't overthink things. It's awesome to have these artists support my brand and who will be next, I guess we'll both have to see.


LGD: What music keeps you going?
RV: I grew up listening to a lot of disco/funk, soul, jazz, and pop so my taste in music is very eclectic. I always love listening to some Earth, Wind, and Fire, maybe some Bee Gees to Beyonce to rap. (Thank goodness my mother had great taste in music!)


LGD: Describe your personal style. 
RV: The best way I can describe my style, is I cater to myself. Lol. I think the beauty of being a woman is being able to switch your style, as long as you feel comfortable and it looks effortless (and respectable), and that's what I do. One day I'll wear a dark, Owens inspired outfit, and the next day wear a clean, minimal, hair slicked back, look. I just have fun with it!


LGD: What do you love about LA and how does the city affect your design aesthetic? 
RV: L.A. is amazing. I love the weather, the food, some of the people haha, and the over all vibe. I mean, I have yet to see and travel other places so I can only speak of what I know living here. 
What inspires me is pretty much what affects my design aesthetic. I came from the Philippines and that's all I knew until we came here and was introduced to diversity and the different environments that I find inspirations from daily. 

LGD: I love the RHOD accessories. Very versatile; androgynous. Will RHOD stay an accessory line or will it branch out into clothing, home goods, etc. as well?
RV: Thank you! It's humbling.
I was having this conversation with my brother today (we are close, lol) and I LOVE accessories. For now it will definitely stay as an accessory line, maybe venture on to handbags & shoes. In the future, who knows! Designing has always been in the back of my mind & the possibilities are endless. 



LGD: Aside from RHOD, what are your other ventures?
RV: Besides RHOD, I work with my brother with his brand RHUDE. I am also working on a project with a dear friend of mine, selling designer vintage clothes. I'm also currently resourcing for my next project.

LDG: Who are your role models?
RV: My role model is my dad and my mom. Two amazing human beings who have sacrificed a lot for us.They make an amazing team together, I'm blessed. 

LGD: Any advice to aspiring designers?
RV: Being an upcoming female jewelry designer, you tend to get over looked and the work is not as easy as it seems. Stay focused and surround yourself with the right people. If you love what you do, enjoy the journey. Take your time and work hard. Have a clear direction and know who your market is; not everything is for everyone. Stop paying too much attention to what everyone else is doing. It's not as easy as it sounds, but stay true to yourself. 


RHOD relaunches today with a limited edition piece so make sure you stop by the site to cop some dope accessories. RHOD is also carried by these select retailers: Bon Regard in Canada, Uneek Basemnt in Japan, Dope in LA, and Anrosa in France. 

Stay up to date with RHO & RHOD accessories: 
Twitter: @RRhoxy and @THE_RHOD
Instagram: rhoxy

No comments:

Post a Comment